Wednesday, March 09, 2005

When I was around ten my godmother gave me a book called Linnea in Monet's Garden which I completely fell in love with. That was the first time in my life that I can remember wanting terribly to visit a place. The very first place on my list of Places to See Before I Die.
The second time I remember having this feeling, I was in high school learning of the first actor to step out of a greek chorus on his own, the beginning of theatre in the way we know it today and as I listened in my state of personal rapture I envisioned myself one day in Athens visiting that sacred spot.
This year for St. Valentine's Day my husband gave me a book called 1,000 Places to See Before I Die. He gave this to me because every time we visited a bookstore (which is often) I would thumb through it, savoring places, delighting when I realized I had actually visited one of these locations... My husband knew that in my heart I am a traveller, that although I love to set my roots, that although I am a creature of habit I want nothing more than to experience new places and cultures.
So here is the beginning of my list. I say this is the beginning because I know that just as when I was that young girl opening the pages of Linnea's travels to visit the garden of her most beloved painter, my travels are just beginning ang there will always be yet another location to add to the list.

  • Giverny
  • Paris
  • Patmos
  • Morocco
  • Egypt
  • Venice
  • New York City
  • Turkey
  • Thailand
  • Fiji
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • Scotland
  • Ireland
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Key West

As a post mortem: As I was standing this past summer overlooking the Odeon of Herod Atticus at the Parthenon in Greece, the visit became more than the overwhelming joy of being in one of the most amazing and oldest structures in the world - it became a spiritual experience. This was where the first actors has stood, this was where they had rehearsed and worshipped and this was not just the birthplace of all theatre, but the home of all who find their home in the persuit of this art form. It was magnificent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home