Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Either something is true, or it isn't. Do or do not, there is no try.

Recently I have been savoring Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman. In this book, Klosterman comments that he feels that all GenXers were vastly influenced by The Empire Strikes Back, while I agree with this I do not believe it is limited to people born before 1978. His thinking is that this is one of the first movies to impact this generation, and that they all intently wish to be Mark Hamill. Unfortunately, as we all know, despite the fact that Luke is inherently good (I would love to say he's likeable as well, but he's really a whiny bitch) he still loses in a miserable, hand-hacked-off kinda way.

Klosterman's point evolves to state that as we grow up we are faced with a choice : we can keep fighting a war we will inevitably lose or we can give in to the dark side, compromise our dreams and have "a normal life". This point really hits home.

I have a B.A. in Theatre & Philosophy (yeah I know how ridiculous that is) and although I would not trade my education for the world, I was faced with a choice straight out of college. I could persue a serious acting career I knew I would love, but would be extremely hard, OR I could bear down and find "a real job", one that would pay the bills and one I could actually continue whilst following my boyfriend around the globe where his army assignments led him. I chose the latter. He didn't end up in the army. He DID end up proposing, and he DID end up in law school. I ended up working in a thankless job while planning our wedding and being laid off 3 months after we took our vows and 2 months after he began his first semester of law school.

Somedays I wonder which choice was actually the safe one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddie Beaver said...

You went with love, that's both admirable and (in my viewpoint) wise.
Best of luck finding a "better job"

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cammo said...

it's only the wise choice for the extent the love last. then it becomes the unwise choice.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home