Saturday, May 14, 2005

What would you like for your birthday?

Over the course of the past seven to eight months an interesting thing has happened, because I lost my job just prior to paying off the last bits of our wedding I have been without money for almost the past two years now, the year before the wedding when we were saving and the year after the wedding.

Two things happened yesterday, I got passed up for the perfect job and my mother-in-law asked me what I wanted for my upcoming birthday. The reason these two things are connected is that I have been poor for long enough that it long ago ceased to be fun to even think about the things I could buy when I finally got a new job. This means that when someone asks me what I would like for my birthday I have no idea, it's been so long since I even looked at a catalogue or went to a mall that I have to struggle to think of things I would like to own. This is amusing to me since my previous job was in the fashion industry which allowed me to always be aware of what trends were coming - a year ago I could have given people pages of things I would love to own - I'm not that greedy, but I could have. Now the only things I want are things we need and expensive, so I can't ask for them : the flatware we didn't get for our wedding, an xm radio, a vaccuum that actually works, or the couch.

On a positive note, my husband hunted down a store that sold the special edition dark chocolate twix bars and bought me about ten of them!

1 Comments:

Blogger fuzzle said...

Dude, I LOVE Crate & Barrell... if I ever make millions I'll buy you the couch.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home