Thursday, August 04, 2005

Mrs. BananaHammock

A little over a year ago, my husband and I went downtown to obtain our marriage license, where we asked them how we would go about changing our names. My husband has a hyphenated last name which we will call Blueberry-Pony and I have the king of last names hated by computers everywhere, we'll call Super.calli-fragillist-ic.expealidocious. Our plan was to separate his name so that Blueberry would become his second middle name and to make Super.calli-fragillist-ic.expealidocious my middle name (I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a middle name). I would then have Pony as my legal last name, but I would use Supercallifragillist-ic.expealidocious-Pony most of the time.

Well, what we found out is that because my husband is also planning on changing his name we would each have to pay $112 and schedule court time to change our names. Riiiight. I don't have 88 cents to buy myself a cup of coffee!

The result? We have been married for 13 months and have completely different names and every once in a long while when someone calls me my legal married name I think of my grandmother and giggle.

It's also worth noting that if I wanted to simply take my husband's last name it (providing he was not changing his) it would have been free, however had he wanted to take MY last name? $112 & court time of course. Ohio is sexist.

I'm starting think we should both just start going by Apple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home