Saturday, September 17, 2005

I like a good flick as much as the next person, although perhaps not in the same way.

I appreaciate nothing more than a good story. I love it. I live it. I am swallowed up by it and I svaor every detail. It drives my husband nuts because I nitpick because I love the details so. This is what makes me a good director. It's part of what makes me a good actor as well. There are a lot of people out there who think movies are a bastard art. I can appreciate that, I prefer the stage myself too, but I like it all. Unfortunately, my appreciate sometimes means I appreciate things I don't enjoy or I enjoy things I don't appreciate.
Tonight I watched Lord of War. It was a good story, but I did not enjoy it. I'm glad I saw it, but I will never watch it again. I'll admit it, I am a girl. I don't get queasy from violence, but I don't like to watch it, when it's shown onscreen I am the girl who flinches and the only reason I don't turn away is because I want to take in the movie in its entirety...and well, I do have my pride.
As we left the theatre I saw a poster for Proof, by David Auburn, a local boy made good I suppose. He won a Pulitzer for this play when I was a junior in college. My senior year I was so in love with his script that I chose that play for a dramaturg project. This is where I begin to hate loving the details. What I found was that his details don't work. His math, his "research" is shitty, there is simply no other word. I still love the play. I love the relationships, I love the characters, I love the story and the telling of it. However it bothers me deeply that he won a Pulitzer for a play which was not properly researched and that his justification for not doing the work is that he wanted the common man to undertstand his play. I can understand that since the play is about mathematicians and most of us (myself included) can't even begin to fathom that type of thinking. The problem is that some people will understand, they will know it doesn't work and once you realize that, the foundation of the story begins to unravel.
I suppose I will still go see Proof, because I can't stop loving it even as much as it bothers me, but I wonder if I will be able to enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home