Friday, October 28, 2005

"It has the best use of smoke I've ever seen."

These are the words my sister's friend used to describe Good Night, and Good Luck. in trying to convince my husband and I to go see the flick last weekend. Although slightly unnervered by this unusual (and pretentious sounding) compliment we took the jaunt down to the Drexel to see it, and I'm glad we did.

I admit I loved watching the movie for it's look, the fashion & movement, I loved hearing it for the phrases and the music (Rosemary Clooney's band and musical arrangements), but most importantly I loved the movie for it's intellect and talent. George Clooney, David Strathairn and Ray Wise gave brilliant performances. David Strathairn's calm composure only strengthened his quiet storm of strength against those who would threaten the freedoms this country was built upon. Ray Wise's character appears to feed off Strathairn's strength, as you can almost witness Wise's lack of inner strength crumbling. Wise, is likeable and good but weak - you don't quite know whether you should hug him or shake him.

As for the use of smoke....

I've heard (and given) my share of theatrical snobbery in the past and that comment is by no means the worst, but my reaction to the smoke was quite different. I couldn't stop thinking, "he smoked on air??? That would never happen today" I found it interesting to flash back to a day not so long ago when it was not only legal, but socially acceptable to smoke pretty much anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home